Our client is an AI-powered technology product company, based in San Francisco.The company combines valuable academic expertise in climate science and machine learning, to create and develop its wind product and helps optimize global wind energy production. The customers of the company include corporate and government players in the insurance, aviation, and clean energy industries.An immediate need is to build a production-ready platform around climate science ML models, making them available to the clients. The longer-term vision is to develop a general AI-powered geocomputation platform for climate risk.
To enhance the successful development of the company, we are looking for a Software Engineering Leader passionate about climate change with deep skills in building data/ML infrastructure to head the effort on building the first production platform, as well as the subsequent effort to create the climate risk geocomputation platform.Company’s Tech Stack:
· Python scientific computing stack and PyTorch for the ML models
· Python for the back-end code
· Azure and Kubernetes for deployment
· Vue.js for the front-end
However, you will have the liberty to change parts of the stack if needed.This position is open to remote work anywhere in the US, from Europe or South America.
You will be the Principal (Lead) Software Engineer and will
· Head the effort on building the first production platform
· Lead the subsequent effort to create a climate risk geocomputation platform.
· You have 5+ years of software engineering experience in a commercial setting
· You have helped deliver commercial grade products to paying customer
· You have 3+ years of experience with big data pipelines (for example: Spark, Flink, Kubernetes)
· You are proficient in building robust, scalable, simple cloud services and data infrastructure in a commercial setting
· You are proficient in Python
· Cultural alignment: you have an interest in science, are passionate about climate change, and value diversity
Nice to Have(s):
· Experience building machine learning pipelines (for example: Pytorch, Tensorflow, Scikit-learn)
· Experience with weather/climate modeling and/or data
· Proficient with the Scientific Python stack (for example: Numpy, Xarray, Dask, Pandas)
· Significant experience with one of the major cloud platforms: AWS, GCP, Azure
· Experience developing full-stack products
· You are a humble leader, with exceptional communication skills, compassion, self-awareness, and a genuine interest in managing and attracting talented people and creating a healthy culture
The Company Offers:
· Work with a talented team of AI and climate scientists on hard problems that have real impact;
· VC-backed team that is also adept at attracting Federal R&D funding.
· As an early team member reporting directly to the C-suite, you will have a major impact on the company's product, overall direction and culture.
· A competitive salary and equity compensation.
· Other benefits: medical, dental, and vision options; 401k.